Data Extent


UK Open Government Licence (OGL)

Other Access

The information on this page (the dataset metadata) is also available in these formats.


via the DKAN API

Communal establishment management and type (residents) 2011

Dataset population: Residents in communal establishments

Communal establishments

A communal establishment is an establishment providing managed residential accommodation. 'Managed' in this context, means full-time or part-time supervision of the accommodation.

Types of communal establishment include:

  • Sheltered accommodation units where fewer than 50 per cent of the units in the establishment have their own cooking facilities, or similar accommodation where residents have their own rooms, but a main meal is provided. If half or more possess their own facilities for cooking (regardless of use) all units in the whole establishment are treated as separate households.
  • Small hotels, guest houses, B&Bs, inns, and pubs with residential accommodation with room for 10 or more guests (excluding the owner/manager and his/her family).
  • All accommodation provided solely for students (during term-time). This includes university-owned cluster flats, houses, and apartments located within student villages. It also includes similar accommodation that is owned by a private company and provided solely for students (University-owned student houses that were difficult to identify and not clearly located with other student residences are treated as households, and houses rented to students by private landlords are also treated as households). Accommodation available only to students may include a small number of caretaking or maintenance staff, or academic staff.
  • Accommodation available only to nurses. This includes cluster flats and similar accommodation, provided solely for nurses. Nurses' accommodation on a hospital site that does not also contain patients is treated as a separate communal establishment from the hospital (and not categorised as a hospital), so that nurses are treated as 'residents' and not 'resident staff' or 'patients'. This ensures consistency with similar nurses' accommodation not on a hospital site.

National Health Service (NHS) is used in England, Wales and Scotland. Health and Social Care Trust (HSCT) is used in Northern Ireland. In the 2001 Census, HSCT was referred to as NHS/HSSB.

Usual resident population

The main population base for statistics from the 2011 Census is the usual resident population as at census day, 27 March 2011. Although the population base for enumeration included non-UK-born short-term residents, this population is analysed separately and is not included in the main outputs from the 2011 Census.

All statistics are produced using only usual residents of the UK unless otherwise specified.

For 2011 Census purposes, a usual resident of the UK is anyone who, on census day, was in the UK and had stayed or intended to stay in the UK for a period of 12 months or more, or had a permanent UK address and was outside the UK and intended to be outside the UK for less than 12 months.

For information about the main population base for statistics, how other population sub-groups are counted, and all variable definitions, see information about ONS variables and classifications.

Modified Date
Release Date
Geographical Coverage Location
UK Open Government Licence (OGL)
UK down to Output Areas and Small Areas
Public Access Level
Office for National Statistics; National Records of Scotland; Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency; UK Data Service. DOI: