This dataset is an analysis of the long-term migrant population of England and Wales by country of birth, passports held and other characteristics based on Census 2021.
A usual resident is anyone who on Census Day, 21 March 2021 was in the UK and had stayed or intended to stay in the UK for a period of 12 months or more, or had a permanent UK address and was outside the UK and intended to be outside the UK for less than 12 months.
Country of birth
The country in which a person was born. The following country of birth classifications are used in this dataset:
- Country of birth 12a: Political groupings of countries by EU membership and geographical location for non-EU countries.
- Country of birth 190a: Individual countries. This classification includes geographical groupings for low volume countries.
- Country of birth (3 categories): These categories have been derived from country of birth 12a and include all UK countries in "Europe: United Kingdom", all EU countries in "Europe: EU countries" and all remaining countries including British Overseas territories in "Non-EU countries (including British Overseas)".
Country of birth classifications
The country or countries that a person holds, or is entitled to hold, a passport for. Where a person recorded having more than one passport, they were counted only once, categorised in the following priority order: 1. UK passport, 2. Irish passport, 3. Other passport.
The following classifications were created for this dataset for comparability with other international migration releases:
- Passports held (4 categories): High level political groupings of passport held by EU membership and geographical location for non-EU countries.
- Passports held (12 categories): Political groupings of passport held by EU membership and geographical location for non-EU countries.
- Passports held (150 categories): Individual countries for passport held. This classification includes geographical groupings for low volume countries.
Alternate passports held classifications
Economic activity status
The economic activity status of a person on Census Day, 21 March 2021. The following classification was created for this dataset:
- Economic activity status (6 categories): These categories have been derived from the base classification to create employed, self-employed, unemployed (seeking work), economically inactive students and economically active other groups.
Students who are economically active are included in either the Employee, Self-employed, or Unemployed (Looking for work) category
Economic activity status classifications
The industry worked in for those in current employment. The following classification was used for this dataset:
- Industry (current) classification 22a